Tuesday, December 21, 2021

Learning React

If you ever find yourself looking for a new job, you will soon discover that you need something other than job hunting to keep you busy. I have started a project to build a graphically pleasing website that is also database driven. I am amazed at how much happier I am now that I have results I can see from my day's efforts. I also spend an hour or two looking for the perfect job, but it isn't all encompassing like it has been.

Right now I am focusing on building the front end or the user experience (UX) part of the website. I did a bunch of research and discovered that all of the cool kids are using React. I found a great tutorial on YouTube that is forming the basis of what I want to build. Of course there are a number of other graphical elements I want to add that are not covered, but that is what Internet searches are for. Those searches also help with figuring out why my version of the project isn't working. The tutorial I found was created over a year ago and the React libraries have changed since then. When something doesn't work, I just have to query the Internet and I have a fix.

Last night I worked on the project for hours and didn't notice the time passing. This morning I awoke early and eager to continue my journey of learning. This is in sharp contrast to the depression I felt after getting one more rejection from a job where I expected to receive an offer. With the general shutting down that is happening at companies due to the Christmas break, I am glad I have something that energizes me and keeps me excited. At the end of the break, I hope to have a fully functioning demo that I can show.

No comments:

Post a Comment