Tuesday, December 6, 2016

Christmas List 2016: Non Video Games

Yesterday I put together a list of games I want to play over the Christmas break and called it a Christmas list. Today I thought I would put together a list of other things that I want for Christmas this year or would want if I didn't already own them. Hopefully some of you will find them useful.

An OBD-II Reader: Yesterday my wife called me and told me that my daughter's car had a check-engine light on. Her car is only a year old because I got tired of fixing her older car and provided a brand-new one to get my Saturdays back. With an OBD-II reader, you can connect it to the car and it will sort of tell you what the problem is. Sometimes it is as simple as your gas cap not being screwed on correctly. In any event, a quick search on the Internet with the make, model, and year of your car along with the code provided by the reader will tell you if you can fix the problem on your own or need to take it to a repair shop. My daughter's car is still under warranty so it is going back to the dealership tomorrow. I actually own an OBD-II reader and use it all of the time. If that technical person in your life doesn't own one, this should be high on the Christmas list.

Google Cardboard: If you have someone on your Christmas list that really wants to play with virtual reality but you don't have the funds to spring for a $400 PlayStation VR, $600 Oculus Rift, or $800 HTC Vive, then think about getting Google Cardboard. It is only $15 and works with most existing smartphones. It provides a first-hand look at virtual reality with a plethora of apps that are inexpensive and give a good feel for the technology. I got one from a conference and liked the technology so much I purchased a PlayStation VR when I got the chance.

Musical Instrument: I have spent the last year learning to play the guitar and recommend everyone learn to play a musical instrument. One of my favorite things to do is wake up on a Sunday morning and relax playing my guitar. Studies have shown that having a hobby like playing the guitar can help keep brain cells healthy.

A Photo Book: Now that almost every phone sold also includes a camera, there is no excuse for not taking pictures of important events. So what do you do with all of those photos? Put them in a photo book. My family took a great vacation this year and it would be great if everyone combined all of their photos to create a memorable book for the family.

Yes there are probably more things I could add to my list but this is a good start. Hopefully it has a something you wouldn't have thought about on your own that will be a great gift for that hard-to-shop-for person on your list.

No comments:

Post a Comment