Friday, December 16, 2016

Lightning Protection

When I am home in Utah during the winter, I like to start out each morning with a quick trip to the ski resort for some early exercise. It is only 15 minutes away and is a great way to start the day. Today I happened to be there during a nice snowstorm. As sometimes happens, today's storm included thunder and lightning. The ski area stopped loading new passengers, got everyone off the lifts, and closed until 30 minutes after the last lightning. I didn't have time to wait around and had gotten my exercise for the day, so I headed home to go to work.

This got me thinking about lightning and how to protect your electronics during a lightning storm. For the most part, the chances of having your home struck by lightning are fairly small. I do take several precautions with my own equipment that you might find useful.

  1. Turn off all of my computers.
  2. If it is a big storm and I am really concerned I will go so far as to unplug all of my expensive electrical equipment.
  3. Unplug all network cables from my computers.
  4. If I am on my sailboat with a giant lightning rod sticking out of the top of the boat (it is normally called a mast), I will put all of the electronics in the oven which does an excellent job of protecting everything
I think it is rare that you will ever need to place your laptop or tablet in your home oven. If you do, just remember to take it out before preheating your oven to bake something.

No comments:

Post a Comment