Saturday, December 24, 2022

Merry Christmas - You've Got Jury Duty

Yesterday I got in my truck to head up to the ski resort and got the message that I needed to change my oil. Sure I could ignore the message for a bit but I am one of those people that likes to take care of such things as quickly as possible. Today after skiing, I gave the local oil-change service company a call to see if they are open on Christmas Eve and changing oil. They said they were and also that they didn't have any customers at the moment. I quickly drove the quarter mile to their shop and quickly got in.

It made me proud to get something done so fast and not have it hanging over me. When I got home, I checked the mail before going inside and saw that I have been summoned for jury duty. My pride disappeared into humility. This is one of those civic duties we all have as Americans and we should be happy to perform. Unfortunately we all feel it can be a giant time-sync and nobody really wants to do it. To make matters worse, I got the notice on Christmas Eve. Fortunately I don't have to report until February but I don't think it made for a good Christmas gift.

No comments:

Post a Comment