Friday, December 28, 2012

PS3 vs XBox 360

A couple of weeks before Christmas I found myself teaching the Snow Sports Merit Badge to a bunch of young scouts. These Scouts all know that I work for a video game company and so one of them asked which was better: PlayStation 3 or XBox 360. I am a PS3 fan simply because my brother used to work for Sony Computer Entertainment America (PlayStation) and got me hooked on their hardware. I have thought about picking up an XBox 360 but have a huge investment in PS3 games already. While I can get most video games at a significant discount, there is nothing available only on the XBox 360 that I want to play. Besides, I have enough toys and would rather spend money on other things.

My response to the scout was that I preferred the PlayStation 3. Naturally a lively argument ensued amongst the boys as there were one or two that were XBox fans. I did my best to stop the conversation and point out that the PlayStation 3 is technically more advanced than the XBox 360 and as an engineer, I prefer things that are technically superior. We then continued with the merit badge and tried to put the game console conversation to bed.

A couple of days later I was talking with the scout who started the PS3/XBox conversation. He said that he went to one of the video game stores and asked which was better. The store clerk claimed to have both machines and said that online play is better on the XBox than on the PS3. My first reaction was to defend the PS3 online game play but realized I was talking to a 12 year-old kid. It did get me thinking though. So I did a little research only to discover that the Internet is the worst possible medium for finding the truth. You have the XBox fans blasting the PS3 and PlayStation fans doing the same to the 360.

If you look at pure numbers, PS3 and XBox 360 are in a relative tie for 2nd place with regards to the Nintendo Wii. Furthermore, the best selling game this week is Just Dance 4 on the Wii. To an engineer, this doesn't make any sense. But then again, when is the real world rational.


No comments:

Post a Comment