Monday, December 3, 2012

A New Phone

My iPhone is so old that everyone is wondering when I am going to replace it. I was thinking about getting the iPhone 5, but am not that impressed. Sure it has a little bigger screen and is thinner, but does it have the features I really need?

I have been looking at some other phones and have found one or two things that might be nice. I like the Sony Xperia TL as it can connect to your TV via an HDMI cable. That would make giving presentations so much easier. Rather than trying to get everyone to gather around a tiny phone, you just plug it into that monster TV in the family room and everyone can see your spectacular vacation photos. Of course the 13 megapixel camera means your photos won't be grainy when blown up to 65 inches.

Then there is the Sony Xperia Tipo Dual that has slots for 2 SIM cards which makes it easy to use the phone outside the United States. You can use one SIM slot for your normal carrier and then use a local SIM from the country you are visiting. I could really use that when I travel to Japan.

I also like having a separate keyboard and think the Motorola Photon Q - 4G LTE might be worth giving a shot. I used to have a Motorola Razor and really liked the phone before the battery finally stopped holding a charge. I talked with someone today that used to have a Nokia smart phone and he really liked the flip-out keyboard.

Finally, there is the Samsung Galaxy S III which seems to be getting a lot of publicity thanks to a ubiquitous ad campaign. I actually prefer a smaller screen and think the Galaxy S III is a bit to big for my taste. However Samsung has a number of other phones with features that deserve a closer look.

There really are a number of mobile phones that would make a suitable replacement for my old iPhone 3G. Now I just need to figure out what features I am looking for and how much I am willing to pay.

No comments:

Post a Comment