Thursday, December 20, 2012

Ski Racing in Park City

I have spent the last three days with my son ski racing in Park City. While skiing is a great sport to do in the winter, it is not very spectator friendly, especially yesterday and today. When we arrived at the parking lot yesterday, it was a crisp seven degrees Fahrenheit. This morning it was only one.

Today I rode up the chairlift with my son and asked him if he liked watching ski racing. He remarked that if he was at a ski resort, he would rather ski than watch a race. He elaborated that standing on the side of a mountain freezing was not a nice way to spend the day. I commented that watching ski racing was best done from the comfort of the living room couch. He agreed.

My wife had the luxury of viewing the results of the race from home today. While my son's races are not televised, the results are reported in real-time on the Live-Timing website. "Real-time," means that the Park City timing equipment has a feed directly to the web site. If my son had fallen during his first run, it would have listed him as a "did not finish" or DNF immediately after the fall. Since he finished his two runs, he had two times posted immediately after each respective run and she could see how he did.

While Live-Timing is not nearly as fun as watching a video of a race, you can still see the results. Furthermore you don't need to worry about getting frostbite. Trust me, I was concerned about that today.

No comments:

Post a Comment