Monday, February 3, 2014

WiFi Hotspot

This weekend I joined my son in Sun Valley for his ski race and we had a very good trip. We stayed with the team at an inexpensive motel and were fairly comfortable. When I checked in, they gave me a piece of paper with the WiFi password so I could get online and check e-mail. Unfortunately the password they gave me didn't work. Sure I could have called the front desk and straightened things out. Instead, I turned my Android phone into a mobile WiFi hotspot and connected to it with my computer.

For the past month or so I have been carrying around an Android phone and my iPhone 5. Both phones use the AT&T service. There are some things I like about my iPhone and others that I like about my Android. One area where the Android phone really shines is in its ability to become a mobile hotspot. For some reason, AT&T doesn't allow your iPhone to perform this functionality but it does for Android phones. I have to say that I am very impressed with this capability. The LTE download speed was nearly as fast as my home Internet connection. I was able to read e-mail quickly and do it on a full-sized computer screen with a full-sized keyboard. Furthermore, my son was able to connect his iTouch at the same time and read his e-mail as well.

Once my son and I were done with the Internet connection, I turned off the WiFi hotspot capability along with my computer. It was only needed for a couple of minutes and was very handy. After that we were both worn out from a busy day of skiing and went to sleep. Technology had served its purpose.

No comments:

Post a Comment