Tuesday, November 11, 2014

A New Washing Machine

My wife and I have been looking for a new washing machine for about 6 months. Our current one is slowly dying and we are doing all we can to keep it going. Coming up on the Holiday season, there are a number of deals and so we waited until we found a great price on the one we want. Today I decided to order it online. It should arrive in a couple of weeks.

Interestingly enough, one of my co-workers asked about my method for purchasing appliances without realizing I had just bought a large one. I explained that the repair man keeps coming to our house to fix our washing machine and so I keep asking him which major brand he repairs the least. While I appreciate all of the online reviews available for any possible purchase you can make, the one review I trust the most is that of someone that repairs the product on a daily basis.

There are numerous stories of companies planting good reviews as well as unsatisfied customers complaining too loudly about the smallest of problems. One would think it all balances out in the end because of the volume of reviews. However I am not so sure and so I place more weight in the review of a trusted adviser and less weight in the voice of the masses. After all, everyone stupidly purchased those front-loading washers and they became super popular. Never mind that you can't interrupt the washing cycle should you have mistakenly left something out. Now everyone is discovering that there is an engineering flaw with them where they don't drain properly. A little water remains in the bottom which creates a playground for mold, mildew, and some really nasty smelling bacteria that has people tossing them out in favor of top-loading washers.

So what brand of washing machine did we get? Whirlpool. I'd write a glowing review but I have yet to use it. Besides I'm not so sure I would trust the review, nor should you.

No comments:

Post a Comment