Monday, November 17, 2014

Reading the Sunday Newspaper

Last night I had the option of sitting down and watching a movie with my wife or reading a book while she read the Sunday paper. I watched a movie with my wife the previous two nights and so I opted to sit down and read a book. I am glad I did as it was very relaxing and enjoyable.

I know that electronic readers like the Kindle and Nook have replaced books while tablets have replaced newspapers. However there is something therapeutic about reading from something that doesn't require batteries. It is also nice to unfold a newspaper and spread it out on a table or ottoman as you can see much more at once than you can with even the largest of tablets.

Several years ago we stopped taking the daily paper and only subscribed to the one on Sunday. Truth be told, I like reading the comics. I'm not the only one as my youngest son used to call dibs on them when I was done. He is now living in Armenia but has asked that we forward him the Sunday comics on occasion. My wife is a bit more thorough with the Sunday paper. She likes to go through all of the ads in search of something interesting. Then she carefully reads each section of the paper paying more attention to certain articles and less to others. When she is done, she folds everything up and puts the paper in our recycle bin.

We are one of the few families I know that still subscribes to a physical newspaper. I think that is pretty sad as some of my fondest memories are from reading the Sunday newspaper when I was young. I enjoy and embrace technology as that is how I make my living. However sitting back on a Sunday evening and watching my wife enjoy reading makes it worth the small price we pay. If you haven't read a real newspaper in a while, spend a few quarters and pick one up. See if you don't feel a satisfaction you don't get from an electronic format. If you do, you may want to think about subscribing. Newspapers really aren't that expensive.

No comments:

Post a Comment