Tuesday, November 25, 2014

PlayStation TV

Working in the video game industry gets me access to discounts not available to the general public. A month or so ago I was thinking about buying another PlayStation 4. I already have one but was looking to add one to the television I have in my bedroom and the price was very attractive. While my wife is not much of a video game player, she does like to watch Blu-ray movies. I ran the idea by some guys at work and they suggested I get a PlayStation TV instead.

A PlayStation 4 costs $399 while a PlayStation TV only costs $99. Without doing any more research, I ordered one and happily set it up when it arrived. Then I didn't do anything with it. It has sat next to my bedroom TV for about a month and last night I finally decided to give it a shot. My wife and I were going to address Christmas cards and watch a movie. I ran downstairs and put the Blu-ray into my PS4. Then I headed back upstairs.

I turned on the PlayStation TV and there was an icon to connect to my PS4. I selected it and was immediately told I needed to update the system software. I figured that would happen as I have not had the device on for a month. The update only took a few minutes. It also told me I would be able to have up to 4 PlayStation TV's connect to a single PS4. I thought that was pretty cool.

When you connect to the PS4, it shows you the home screen for the PS4 and you would think you were actually on the more expensive device. I selected the Blu-ray movie and was told I couldn't watch it. I was able to play a game on the PS4 but couldn't watch a movie. Bummer! That was the whole reason I got the PlayStation TV. Perhaps it is a feature they will add in the future but for now it doesn't work. I wonder if I can still use my discount on a PS4?

No comments:

Post a Comment