Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Singularity

One thing about being home during the Christmas season is that I get the chance to play more video games. This week I had some extra time while my wife was busy working on Christmas gifts and my son was doing homework. I looked at a stack of games I had been given and pulled out Singularity for the PlayStation 3 (it is also available for the PC and XBox 360).

My original intention was to play for just a bit to see if I liked the game and then move onto another game. I figured I would then give away the games I didn't like and go back to play the ones I did. Singularity was actually pretty good and I kept playing for quite a while.

Singularity is a first-person shooter (FPS) combined with some puzzle elements. It is the puzzle that kept me playing the game. A lot of FPS games are just running around killing things and it gets old quickly. With Singularity your helicopter is brought down by an electromagnetic pulse (EMP) and you are alone on an island that was once part of the Soviet Union. You do some exploring and find weapons along the way. Then you discover the former inhabitants of the island never really left, they turned into superhuman zombies (think "I am Legend" instead of slow-moving brain-dead ones).

I would have continued playing the game all night but my wife came and got me to go Christmas shopping. I am reluctant to get back into the game because it is rather addicting and I want a large chunk of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment