Thursday, December 5, 2019

Killing Time at LAX

Today I flew back to the United States from Japan. That makes for a very long day as I crossed the International Date Line. So instead of a 24-hour day, today will be more like 48. This is especially true since I worked a full day at the office in Tokyo before getting on a plane and I have been working in the airport lounge since I arrived in Los Angeles. Throw in a couple of conference calls this evening as soon as I land and it makes for a really long day. I think I am going to take tomorrow off. Oh wait, I have a conference call at 11am.

In any event, I find myself in an airport lounge killing time while waiting for my next flight. I had a 4-hour layover, which allowed for plenty of time to get through customs and immigration. In a rare stroke of luck, my flight actually left Japan early and we arrived in Los Angeles an hour early. Throw in my Global Entry privilege and I practically walked off the plane and through re-entry into the US. So how to best use that time?

Naturally I attacked e-mail and knocked that out pretty quickly. During the course of going through my messages, I worked with my team in San Mateo to upgrade one of our servers. I also put together a survey for a workshop I helped organize in Tokyo this last week. With all that completed, I had some free time. While there is probably more work I could do, I am in a public place and can't do too much research work. I couldn't think of any B-Movies I wanted to watch on YouTube, but I did think about that. I had one movie that a colleague from work loaded onto my computer a few weeks ago. I started watching that earlier and finally finished it in the lounge. The only downside with that is I have been on a plane with access to a large movie library and so I am sort of movied-out. I listened to a few favorite songs but I am really looking for something else to do.

It feels like I have been working on electronic devices for the past 36 hours and so I think I am going to leave the lounge early and walk around the airport a bit. I may just need some exercise and it will be good for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment