Saturday, December 21, 2019

Playing Video Games

Yesterday my youngest son called to tell me that he just got 100% completion of the video game "Horizon Zero Dawn." That is a lot of work and I congratulated him for a job well done. My wife overheard part of the conversation and wanted to know where my son got 100%. He is in his last year of college and so she thought it might be for one of his final exams. I had the break the news to her that he completed a video game.

I could tell my wife's excitement for my son's 100% came to an abrupt halt and she started to say, "Playing video games won't help him get a good job." I actually finished the sentence for her and then laughed as I work in the video game industry and while some companies pay better than mine, my paycheck has supported the family nicely for the past 9 and a half years. We all had a good laugh and it created a funny moment that we will share with others for quite a while.

Truth be told, playing video games probably won't help you get a good job, especially if you prioritize games over schoolwork. I didn't get hired because I have the high score in any game or am known on YouTube as a celebrated gamer. I got hired because of my strong engineering background and years of industry experience. This moment still makes a funny story though.

No comments:

Post a Comment