Wednesday, December 11, 2019

Helping Christmas Gift Giving

One of the perks to working in the video game industry is that I get certain discounts on games and hardware. Once I walked into GameStop and mentioned the company where I am employed. The salesperson gave me a professional discount right on the spot. I didn't even ask for one. The discounts I get through my company can be even nicer, especially during this time of year.

Last Friday night I attended a Christmas party for the law firm where my wife used to work. I think we got invited this year simply so several of the attorneys could take advantage of my discounts. Actually that is not true, we got invited because it is a close-knit law firm and my wife left on good terms with everyone. I did have fun though playing a joke on one of the paralegals and her husband.

Several weeks ago the paralegal reached out to my wife and asked if I could pick up a game from a company that I don't even work for. I have a contact that can get me games there for a huge discount and so I picked up the game. When my wife delivered it to the paralegal, she was told that I should not mention the game to the husband at the Christmas party as it is a gift for him. Naturally I had to have a little fun with that.

I arrived at the venue and started talking with all of my wife's former associates. When I got to the paralegal and her husband, I said, "I'm not supposed to mention the next generation console your wife had me pick up for you."

The husband's face lit up and he asked, "Really?" excitedly.

I had to come clean and let him know I was joking. I then explained that none of the consoles will be ready until next year and we all had a good laugh. The paralegal then covered things up by asking me to pick her up a few more things for her boys. We all laughed about the exchange throughout the rest of the evening and it made for an enjoyable party.

No comments:

Post a Comment