Tuesday, December 10, 2019

Taking the Stairs Instead of the Elevator

My office is on the 5th and top floor of our building. When we first moved into the space, I took the elevator and didn't even know where the stairs could be found. Then I had someone move to the desk next to me and he always took the stairs. His reason was for fitness. I started following his good example for a different reason: I was tired of stopping at all the floors every time I got in the elevator. I began to see people that take the stairs from the first to the second floor as being lazy. Eventually I started having feelings of hate towards those that held up the elevator for a single floor change. Fortunately I recognized that the problem was not with other people, but with myself. I have been taking the stairs for about a year now and I think it makes me a better person. I am kinder towards others and my legs are getting stronger in the process. I can now get up the stairs faster than most people in the elevator.

Recently I discovered a new benefit of taking the stairs: mobile phones work in the stairwell but they don't work in elevators. An elevator is effectively a metal cage and it can kill all but the strongest radio signals. A stairwell lets in those radio waves and enable conversations not possible before. Now I use my trips up and down the stairs as an excuse to return those calls that have come in during meetings. It is as if I have found an extra 20 minutes in my day.

I have grown accustom to climbing the stairs to the point where I don't sound like I have been exercising when I reach the 5th floor. Recently I had a visitor in the building and she willingly joined me up the stairs. At about the 4th floor, I noticed my her breath had become labored and I realized I probably should have taken the elevator.

Yes the stairs are better for your health and I highly recommend them. Also don't forget your phone works on them and take advantage of the extra time you have. You can even have a phone call without anyone evesdropping on your conversation because very few people use the stairs.

No comments:

Post a Comment