Saturday, December 7, 2019

My Wife's New Favorite Trick

I had a rare occasion today where I got to ski with just my wife. I had planned to go hiking and skiing with my son but the place we intended to go did not have enough snow. My son decided to take his wife and just hike with snowshoes instead. So my wife and I woke up at a relatively late hour (I am still fighting jet lag from Japan) and got ready to go skiing. Fortunately we made it to the ski hill just as the lifts started running and discovered a very uncrowded ski resort.

On our 3rd chairlift ride of the morning my wife excitedly showed me her new favorite trick. We had tried to contact my brother when we arrive in the morning but he did not pick up his phone. So on the chairlift, my wife said, "Hey Siri, read me my last text message." Her phone woke up and read her the last message she had received. She didn't have to take it out of her pocket and get her hands cold. She didn't have to press any buttons. She just had to say, "Hey Siri."

I had to admit that I knew about the voice activation feature of iPhones. I also know it works with Android phones. Both require a fairly simple set-up procedure but I have yet to do it on any of my smartphones. Knowing about a feature and actually using it are two very different things. My wife showed a practical application of technology that would save me from very cold fingers. Perhaps I should get around to setting it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment